NYC in the 1980s.
”After picking up a camera at the age of 15, Jamel Shabazz has been unknowingly become the first “visual documentarian” of hip hop. For over 30 years he’s captured the world around him. Every frame of that world is a time portal that sparks emotion stemming from the scenes they represent. And if there is ever a glimpse into the foundations of street wear and its surrounding culture, it can be found in the pages of his first book.
“Back In The Days” is real deal documentation as it pertains to the origins of hip hop, not to mention hip hop fashion. No 2oK a day models. No makeup artists. No food trucks. The models in the book don’t need runways because they lived the life of style. Jamel Shabazz was there to capture it all.”
Purchase here: http://www.jamelshabazz.com/monographs.html
THE TRUTH OF NATIVE AMERICANS BEFORE THE GENOCIDE
Gotta put this on blast.
We never needed a white savior.
I hate this country.
What I learned from this video:
- 100 million Native Americans died at the hands of white colonists
- Instead of planting crops the colonists spent their days digging random holes in the ground looking for gold. They started starving and dug up Indian corpses to eat. They took Indian prisoners and forced them to teach the colonists how to farm
- Native Americans had massive cities with tens of thousands of well constructed houses, intricate water canals and large merchant areas.
- The Native Americans used soaps, deodorants and breath sweeteners while colonists never bathed or even took of their clothes
- There was a delousing policy with the mantra Nits create Lice; nits being Native American babies, so their goal was to kill every Indian, including babies
- In the 1700’s 80% of the Federal Budget went towards eradicating the Native American population so they could take their developed farmland
- Colonists leaders went town after town killing men women and children under the approval of George Washington
- "Pursue Indians to extermination" -Thomas Jefferson
- California governor (1849-1851): “extermination must continue to be waged until the Indian becomes extinct”
The main factor which prevented Native American extinction was the fact they were used for slave labor. The most prized Native Americans were young girls who were said to be valued for labor and lust (that one white dude in your ethnic studies class that says he’s 1/36th Cherokee?)
In modern times children were forced into Indian Boarding Schools whose goal was to “Kill the Indian in them”. It was federal policy. They were beaten if they used their native tongue, they were forced to dress and style their hair like whites
This country was literally built on terrorism and mass murder.
Until, this is taught in schools everywhere- “history class” is merely a racism propaganda course.
I know this will shock most people, but when people are depressed, it actually makes us feel better when people say “you are totally entitled to be sad because of that- that sucks!” and vent with us rather than having all this fake positive bullshit shoved down our throats and making us feel as though we are not entitled to have emotions about things.
This is one of the most insulting things that I have every seen, it makes me so mad I actually want to cry. I can’t believe magazines think that they can just dipped a woman in brown paint, give her clothes from my culture to put on and have the audacity to call her an “African Queen”. Growing up I heard so may jokes about Africans and saw the negative stereotypes portrayed by the media that tried to make me feel bad about where I come from. Yet Ive noticed when fashion magazine want to do spreads portraying poise and exoticness they often turn to Africa ( proving time and again that Africa is more than the negative images you see in the media) but this time, to try and take parts of my beautiful culture and have a white women play the role just proves that beauty cannot be seen in our countries/cultures unless it is represented by White people.
Stop white people once and for all
"classy" blackface is still offensive and harmful blackface
Crackers have issues. This shit is just bonkers. Like, there’s something wrong with you.